Mar 13, 2013

what do you call these anyway?

 017

Still working on the double wedding ring quilt.  While I sew, I’ve been calling these “eyes.”  That was the first thing that came to mind.  I also sometimes think “almonds.”  I know others have called them “footballs” or “melons.” 

What do you call them?

So far the sewing has been all good. I’m sure that scary challenge that I’ve been expecting is going to come along eventually. But not yet.

…I’ll be sure to let everyone know when it arrives.

 

010

I also finished four more sprig blocks.  One more and I’ll be half way through the appliqued blocks for my Stars and Sprigs quilt top.  Yes!

The weird lighting and shadows in the photo are because it’s late …  just haven’t been ready to give up my day for sleep yet.

 

824062

My latest read is God’s Smuggler.  I thought it would be like “Angel on Her Shoulder” by Kenneth L. Wilson, about a missionary woman in Taiwan.  I read that book many years ago and loved it and still think about it from time to time.  I was so touched by that woman’s sacrifices and her determination.  This one hasn’t made an impact on me that way but I am enjoying the story.

…I’ll be linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times….right here.

And then finally… off to bed.

10 comments:

Needled Mom said...

The "melons" look awesome as do the blocks. You're doing a great job on both of them.

sue bennett said...

Can you tell me what pattern that the Sprig and eerie berries is from? I love it.

Nanette Merrill said...

I've gone to listening to audio books while I sew. I love it. I call these eyes, too. Yours are wonderful. Loving watching your progress.

Grit said...

Wonderful progress.
I love this pattern.

Greetings from Germany, Grit

Sherry said...

Love your wedding ring "melons". and your applique is lovely. I am a new follower and am going to enjoy watching the progress

Kay said...

I love your wedding ring "eyes". I tried these once but couldn't get them to lie flat. I'm a new follower and can't wait to see yours finished. Also, your sprig blocks are beautiful. I browsed around on your blog and you have done some really wonderful quilts. And I love to read. Thanks for sharing your quilts and books.

Breesmimi said...

HI I'm stopping by from Sew Many Ways FaFF link. Love your melons and the use of yellow, it adds such a sparkle to everything! I'm your newest follower. Please stop by and I hope you will follow me too! I love quilts and books too.

Chenille Cottage said...

I loved your post and am happy to have found your blog.
Your blocks are so pretty and I wonder if I once heart them called something like "Grandma's Pickle Dish"...??? Don't quote me...but that seems to ring a bell.

I have read the story and seen the movie God's Smuggler and it is riveting. Such a tale of courage and faith.

have a happy weekend,
Blessings,
Carolynn

Jane in Cumbria said...

They look beautiful (whatever they are called) with those lovely colours. I love your applique blocks, and a long time ago I read that book too. Very interesting. I also heard him preach several times in Holland, that was nice.
Greetings from Wales!

Marie Atkinson said...

I call them melons because that's what the pattern that I use calls them. I waited 25 years to try the wedding ring quilt because I heard it was difficult-not so! I even helped some beginners make it! Have fun - it looks wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails