Apr 24, 2013

my hideaway

032

My life has been so hectic the past month or so, I barely have time to myself.  But today is a day off and I’m catching my breath by spending time here in my favorite space.

My sewing table is just an old, old desk that I painted, but I love it and its perfect for me.  My work table is also very old.  An old wood table that I covered in batting and fabric.  I iron there and work there and am content there.

027

All my supplies are near and handy, right next to my machine.  See those wood spools in jars on top of the bookcase?…love ‘em!  Mr. Sunshine and I made those shelves for our daughters when they were small.  We had it filled with books that they took to bed with them every night.  Now that bookcase is a good memory as well as great storage space.

006

Behind my work area is a chest of drawers where I keep my ongoing and to-do projects.  And it’s pretty full!  Always something that needs to be done.  I just need a chest of drawers full of time to go with it.

010

On around the room is my fabric, thread and ribbon stashes along with the cutting table and rulers.  The tall tower is my littlest scraps…too small to fold but too pretty to toss …I find myself going through those drawers a lot looking for a perfect piece  …especially for applique.

Did you notice the little boy cookie jar on top of the thread cupboard?  He keeps an eye on me while I sew…and he brightens the room with his smile.  It was my grandma’s cookie jar.  I grew up looking at it in her kitchen.  Always fascinated by it.  My grandma noticed and told me it would be mine some day… and it is.  And I’m still fascinated with it. 

037

The closet doors are the only space I have for a design wall.  And it works just fine.  If I need more space I use the floor in the spare bedroom next door LOL.

013

Above the design wall are two words….”Awesome” reminds me not to be too critical of my work.  Just enjoy it and be happy with the outcome.  Its usually not as bad as I think.  Years ago in an art class, a teacher taught me snap my fingers when I liked how something was going.  This is kind of the same thing I guess.

“Laugh” is a lifesaver for me.  Several years ago I had metastasized breast cancer and went through six months of aggressive chemo.  Very traumatic, to say the least,  but I used to look at this word on the wall and remind myself to keep a cheerful attitude…and laugh at my bald head instead of cry when I looked in the mirror.  I got through it just fine and I’m glad I kept smiling.  Now this word reminds me of that.  It gives me strength.

Today I am really appreciating my favorite space….my small hideaway from the world. 

…and because of it, tomorrow I will be ready to dive back into that busy, busy world out there.

24 comments:

Deborah Hamilton said...

Your sewing room is very nice and so organized! Your cancer story is very inspiring. Keep up the good work!

Laura said...

I loved your post, your sewing room is very nice and tidy and your work is beautiful!!

Adrienne Cleave said...

Your workspace is beautiful and so is your attitude!
Yours is the very first quilting blog that I discovered one day (didn't know such thing existed, lol!) when I googled Jacob's ladder and up came your post. Needless to say, I now check several on a daily basis, yours included.....still a favourite.....it's always a good day when I discover a new post. I was unaware of your health history so I am doubly delighted that you are now well. Stay healthy, keep creating and thank you!

Annemieke said...

Thanks for sharing your sewingroom, things and the stories behind them.I very much liked reading this post.
Groetjes
Annemieke

Gayle said...

What a great studio - everything is so organized and lovely to look at - I can understand how that helps you accomplish so much. Thanks for the tour!

antique quilter said...

Amazing how our space gives us hope and comfort at different times of our life. Thanks for sharing your story and love seeing your special place.
Kathie

Grit said...

Your sewing room looks so fantastic.
Grit from Germany

Sinta Renee said...

What a bright and happy place to have as a play room! I love the dresser in there... and your little cookie jar boy. I am amazed at how organized you are... please rub off on me a little , okay?

Needled Mom said...

What a wonderful space!!! I LOVE the yellow and pink colors with the white. It looks so clean and neat.

Kaaren said...

Thank you for sharing this with us, Annette. I love your sewing space. It exudes calm and happiness.

I can so relate to your battle with cancer. Stay strong, positive and productive. You are an inspiration to us all.

Every Stitch said...

What a wonderful work room- very cheerful and organised - loved the tour thanks! Better go tidy up my sewing room now LOL:)

Joyce Carter said...

Hi Annette. I really love your sewing room. It looks sooo neat and very cheerful. And you have everything so organized! Very Pretty! Makes me want to do something with mine. Thank you for sharing.

Rhonda S said...

I admire you for being so well organized with life that you are still able to laugh and enjoy the little things. Your little sewing room is always a joy to visit..Thanks so much for being the special person you are...

Darlene said...

You do have the sweetest space, Annette. I can well imagine the joy you must feel when you spend time with your 'toys'. Laughing is very good for our souls; it's also very healing. :-)

Linda said...

Your sewing space is awesome! I love how cheerful it is...have fun relaxing in there today!!

Lynette said...

You have such a pleasant sewing room! I really love the use of the closet door and the seasoned furniture pieces.

MARCIE said...

Your sewing room is wonderful and so YOU! Love all your little spots of yellow! It is so nice to have a place where you can feel so comfortable and soak up all the positive energy!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynn said...

What a wonderful workspace you've created. I could move right in and be happy as a clam. I think attitude is everything. A good attitude, friends and family help us over the rough patches that come our way. I can also relate to your cancer story and I'm happy to have had several "good" check-ups over the past year.

tich said...

I follow your blog, but usually only lurk. I really enjoy reading what you are up to, but have been missing your posts. Hope you are well. Love your studio - it is definitely a positive place.

Nana said...

What a place to work in and so bright.

Nana

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Love your sewing room, so organised! What a great idea to use the closet door as a design space - must try that. I like to have a piece of sunshine in my quilts where possible.

Kinga Izabella said...

A very nice place to hide! Or just to relax and enjoy quilting and the fabrics :)

June D said...

What a happy place you have! thank you for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails